Tuesday, February 27, 2007

'07 MINI Cooper S First Thoughts

I drove an S while down at South Atl MINI. This car did not have the sports suspension on it.

Thoughts...

Exterior:
Sparkling Silver looks really good, new Mellow Yellow is different but grew on me the longer I looked at it. New blues are both nice. Cant wait to see one with lowering springs. Like the new sunroof, rear lights look cool with the little MINI badge on them. Really don't like the blacked out hood scoop. Will be interesting to see what the after market guys can do with this and the intake. After looking at the engine for about an hour, the air intake on the car is about 2"x3" and is next to the headlights, covered up by the hood! When someone comes up with a new intake that can use the scoop you will get some good hp gains I think.
New battery placement is interesting. (anyone notice where it was?)

Interior:
Looks much more put together than the R53s, everything is in the right spot. New seats are soooo much better. Still hoping they bring the Recaros over though. Love the telescoping steering wheel. Only minus about the interior to me is the dead peddle placement. Much closer to the seat than before, really bugged me, I would have to take it out if I bought an 07.

Drive:
Don't know why you would ever turn the sport button off. Steering is ok. Not near as direct as before. Power band is different, there is a little turbo lag but not like the old turbo days. The car will get up and go but there is something missing without the exhaust burble and the supercharger whine.

Overall, really liked the car though I wont be trading in the 04 any time soon. I think the problem is it is too German. The previous MINI ('02-06) was designed by Rover and built in a BMW plant. This time around everything is done by BMW. It ends up being a very good car, build quality is amazing. But it is lacking something, it is lacking the soul, the quirks of the previous car, the Britishness I guess. My MINI is a British car, the '07s are German cars that are assmebled in Oxford. I am really excited to see what the new JCW will be and what the aftermarket guys can do with this car, I do think the limits that the aftermarket will push this car will be greater than the old ones.

No comments: