Monday, December 01, 2008

Looked good from 20 feet....

Went and checked out a 1964 Land Rover Series IIa this past weekend. Here is a picture:



Looks ok right? Well the seller had told me it was not currently running because he had removed the radiator and the rear drive shaft but never got around to installing new bits. For the price he was asking I figured, I'll take a look and if it is in good order who knows. Well, from the outside the truck looks pretty good. Nice color combo, wheels look ok. Interior is so-so, bulkhead rust is there but not terrible. Then I go stick my head under the rear of the truck to check out the frame. Yikes! Both rear frame members are completely rusted through. I didn't even bother to look at the frame under the front of the car. I tried to be nice and ask a few other questions about the truck but I knew I wasn't going to hassle with it. Now, if I had someplace to store this thing for a few years and I could talk him down to about $500 (all the thing is worth really) then maybe I would think about pulling a full resto on it but I don't have that much time or money.....

No comments: