Friday, June 01, 2007

Chevy Malibu Max Review

Took the MINI in for service this week and was given the choice of a Focus or a Malibu Max. Figured I have driven a Focus, why not try out the Chevy...

Ok, the car I was given has the V6. For a larger car the engine is pretty punchy down low. Has an interesting tiptronic mod to manual shift the auto box your self. Quick off the line, good for passing on the interstate but as soon as you get past about 3000 rpm the pull dies off.

Interior is pretty good for a base end model. Plastic trim is much nicer than the other base cars I have driven in the past. It doesn't really look like plastic. Heck, I think the interior trim in the Malibu Max is nicer than the Corvette I sat at the auto show a few months back. Seat is supportive. There are two neat sunlights over the back seat. Not really sure the functionality but still neat to look at. Driving position is pretty good though the car feels a lot bigger to drive than it really is. One complaint about the driving position yet again is the dead peddle area. Nowhere to really put you left foot. If you put it against the bulkhead then it is too close to your seat, if you move it over towards the middle it ends up behind the brake peddle, not good.

Audio is good and the controls are well laid out and simple to figure out. Same goes for the AC, easy to get the temperature just right. The vent controls are unique and actually work quite well. They use a wheel to direct the flow to the left or right and a neat louver design to direct up or down. Hard to explain in words, you'll just have to go look in a Malibu and see for your self.

Not a bad car. Wish I could give a bit better review but I have only had the car just over 24 hours.

I'll be in Clearwater Florida this week for a conference. I'm sure I'll figure out something to write about while listening to speakers talk about Nuclear Parts Obsolescence....

No comments: