Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ford Fusion Review Pt III, Drive in Blizzard Conditions....

Ok, I have a Ford Fusion for my trip this week. Trip has taken me from Chicago, through a blizzard to Omaha and then down to Kansas City. The drive from the Quad Cities area to Omaha on Wednesday was one of the more interesting experiences I have ever had behind the wheel of a car.

First off let's review my thoughts on the Fusion. Last time I drove one was last August on my way to the GT v Notre Dame game. Car served me well but I had some issues. I think the one I got this time is either newer or is not the base model I had last time. It has steering wheel audio and AC controls that I noted where missing last time. A very nice touch that makes the car seem a bit more upscale. The car also came equipped with automatic climate control that worked perfectly. Easy to control and I was able to set the temp and not worry about it. Also included in the car where side mirror defrosters, which came in very handy. The rear deck does not seem as high this time as last, maybe a design change between years? Blind spot behind the c-pillar on the passenger side can still hide an 18-wheeler if your mirrors are not adjusted properly. Seats did not seem as comfortable this time, maybe that was another change. Even with adjustable lumbar support, there where times I just could not get comfortable (this very well could be more me than the car). All in all the car impressed me yet again. It gets that job done, no frills but makes a nice base end 4 door.

Now on to the weather. In case you missed the news the last few days, areas in the mid-west where hit by a pretty big snow storm. Total snow fall amounts varied but the hardest hit area just happened to by eastern Iowa. Guess where Moline, IL is? Yep, eastern Iowa. Moline must have gotten close to a foot with areas to the west (towards Des Moines) got even more. So what did I decide to do? Well drive right through the worst hit spots! Smart Jim, smart. Anyway, hoped in the car Wednesday and was in for the drive of a lifetime. The first sign of trouble was the fact I was barely able to even get on I-80. Had to gun the Ford to push through the snow on the on-ramp! No plows in sight, huh ok. No other cars, where is the road? It was all white. 50 mph winds whipping across the road, snow everywhere. 18-wheelers, cars and RV in the ditches. Yep, fun had by all. Anyway, I just remembered my wet autocross experiences, no big movements, no brake, just be calm and take it easy. It helped I got in behind an 18-wheeler that looked like he knew what he was doing. I just stayed in his tire tracks and let him act as my personal snow plow. Only had 2 pucker moments that I can remember. I am sure I got some odd looks from the Iowa folks I passed on the road, my rental is tagged from Florida! I should have some pictures once I get back to the Atl and have access to my cameras usb cable. That is it for now, back to Atlanta in the morning.

No comments: