Monday, July 09, 2007

Utter Crap (Chrysler 300 1st thoughts)

Ok. I'm in and around New York state this week. I flew into White Plains today in route to the nuclear plant outside of New London, CT (Millstone Plant). I go check in at the Avis counter and I am told, "We have a Chrysler 300, would that be ok?" I say sure, get the keys and my bags and head to get the car. I have ridden in the 300s several times and they always seemed to be comfortable cars. Well once I got in the drivers seat I realized just how wrong I was. These are just my first impressions from spending about 2 hours of windshield time in the car while dealing with NY traffic (Yes, they drive worse here than the folks in Atlanta).

Trunk, it has a big trunk.

What ever models Chrysler used to layout the interior obviously had arms that where 5 inches longer than mine.

Do you really need an analog clock right above a radio that has a digital clock?

What the hell is that buzzing noise coming from the front speaker? What the hell is that noise coming from under my seat?

Baby is this leather? Cause, um, it's sticking to my leg.....

At least the brakes work. Kind of.

Hey, it has an ashtray.

Nice touch with the Black on white instruments, who designed these things? 8 point letters and small black dots on a white background, because when you look down to check you speed you want to have to spend 10 seconds trying to figure it out....

Another nice instrument panel feature: a shiny black surface that surrounds the white faced instruments and at the right angle can blind you due to glare.

Can a car have twitchy steering and numb steering at the same time?

Why do I get seasick looking at the fisheye passenger sideview mirror? Oh, so I can see the Semi hidden behind the c-pillar.

Where did that MINI go that just passed me? Oh, it's hidden behind the A pillar.

Parallel Parking? Right....um no.

Did I mention the big trunk?

I am driving an 80's turbo diesel? I swear I floored the thing a second a go in order to pass... oh, ok the thing finally shifted.

Why do I keep speeding up or slowing down when I signal to change lanes? Oh, that because the damn cruise control stalk (?) is right above the turn signal stalk, which is located a lot lower and farther away from the steering wheel than any other car that I have ever driven.

How the hell do I get the wipers to come on? Do you really need to put 4 functions of one stalk? (Turn signals, high-low beams, wipers, washers, fog lights, trunk release, ignition, self destruct button......)

Ok, so far this thing sucks, bad. The only thing it does ok is go 75 in a straight line on a level road. From a comfortable driving position I can't reach anything. I can barley read my GPS since it is roughly 8 feet from me stuck to the windshield. The seats are crap, the steering wheel is real crap, the rear view out of the thing is a joke, you could hide a whole ro-ro carrier of cars in the blind spots. I can't see the road when going over the top of step hills. I just have no clue, this car really is that bad. It feels a whole hell of a lot bigger than my in-laws '77 Chevy truck (which is easier to drive). Heck it feels harder to drive around than the 40 foot u-haul I rented to move with. I had to 3 point a 2 1/2 lane u-turn!! I'm done for now, I am sure I'll have some more thoughts on this utter piece of garbage tomorrow. (Kind of wish they would have given me a Taurus instead, or maybe the Lincoln towncar that was next to this thing, or maybe the Minivan that was parked behind it.....)

No comments: