Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 Review

A quick review of my old tires before I replace them later today....

I ordered these in the 205/50/15 size for my MINI. At the time I was faced with either keeping my very heavy stock 17" rims or switching to lightweight 15" rims. Based on the suggestion of several members of the MINI club and my experience with driving around on my 15" autocross rims I decided to make the switch to aftermarket wheels. One of the biggest advantages of this is I was able to buy wheels and tires for about the same price of putting decent 17" tires back on the stock rims. I got an incredible price on these Dunlops tires, at $47.00 per tire it was too good a deal not to try out.

I have been pleased with the tires. I got about 20,000 miles out of them which I think is pretty good for a 300 treadwear and my "spirited" driving style. They do have some sidewall flex (what 50 series tire doesn't) and that took some getting used to but after a few mountain runs I knew exactly how they where going to act. Very sticky in the corners and give you good feel and warning of when they are going to break loose. They have also been a very good on the noise side, they are not very loud even now that they are almost slicks. Wet performance is so-so, they like to plane so you have to be careful when it is really wet. Also, they don't have the best start grip when it is wet out, could be very tricky when pulling away from a stop sign in the rain.

One of the best features (IMO) is the rim protector. The tire has a very pronounced lip around the tire, the tire sits out past the wheel by about 1/4" giving excellent road rash protection and adding a pretty cool look.

Overall I would buy these tires again at the price I paid for them. I'll give them around a 7.5 out of 10? I am going to a different tire this time because I can't get the Dunlops as cheap anymore and because I just want to try something else. Who knows, maybe after this next set I will be back to the Direzzas.

No comments: