Friday, March 30, 2007

TR Radiator Flush

Finally got around to flushing the radiator on the triumph yesterday. I also replaced the globe badge on the hood and installed a 160 degree T-stat. I am glad that I had bought a can of Loktite Instant Gasket and had it on hand. When I removed the tstat housing the gaskets where toast. I thought I was going to be stuck until I remeber the Loktite I had bought to do the rear differential. Cleaned off all the mating surfaces, bench installed the tstat and two halves of the housing using the instant gasket then mounted it all up to the top of the water pump. The instant gasket worked great. I did have to adjust the mounting of the hose from the radiator to the water pump a few times to stop a slow leak. I also added some Red Line Water Wetter, this stuff is supposed to help the car run cooler by doing something with the coolant? It was just an add on purchase when I bought all the Red Line gear oil and transmission fluid.

Car runs a lot cooler now, guessing this is mostly due to the new 160 degree tstat and clean coolant. The stuff I drained out was pretty nasty. Next two projects are to change the transmission fluid, replace the oil pan gasket and do the brakes. I'll get to the transmission fluid in the next month, do the oil pan next time I change the oil and hopefully get to the brakes next month as well.

If you work on cars I highly suggest keeping some sort of liquid gasket stuff around. I know I will from now on, it saved me the hassel of ordering and waiting for new gaskets to finish the radiator flush.

No comments: